[Lugstuff] Mesh Network devices

Annapolis Linux Users Group lugstuff at annapolislinux.org
Sat Feb 13 21:31:08 EST 2021

Are you looking for an open source system or something commercial? Either
way, they most likely do run Linux.

If you don't want wireless network gear to mess with your network, set it
up as a wireless access point or wireless bridge rather than a wireless
router. IMHO it's best practice to keep your router/firewall as a
single/minimal function device anyway.

Systems I could recommend are Ubuiquiti UniFi, TP-Link Omada, and Microtik.
Definitely stay away from off the shelf models from Netgear, Belkin,
D-Link, etc. -- they constantly churn through new models and hardware
changes and the firmware rarely gets updated and is ancient to begin with.

There are also open source projects like freemesh.

Of course, don't believe the marketing materials you may have read about
mesh networking solving all your problems. Radio frequency and transmit
power is limited by law and there is a lot of electromagnetic noise in our
living and work environments.

--Ben