[Lugstuff] Camera for Zoom, etc.

Annapolis Linux Users Group lugstuff at annapolislinux.org
Sun Sep 13 22:14:18 EDT 2020

The webcam I wanted, a Logitech C920, still costs over $100.  Before COVID
it was about $50.

I went looking for another solution and found droidcam (
https://www.dev47apps.com/).  All I needed was an Android phone -- and I
had an old Galaxy S5 hanging around.

It's not perfect, and definitely not plug and play: sometimes it doesn't
connect, you have to hold your nose just right to get the sound to work,
and a kernel upgrade requires you to reinstall the computer site software.
But it's adequate for my use.  It does 1080p without problem, though you
have to edit the configuration file to make it do that.

The mount is jury-rigged:  a selfie stick, a plastic bottle for a base, and
a bunch of duct tape.

I started using it with Mint 18 (Mate version) and transitioned to Mint 19
without any problem, except for the reinstallation.

Net cost: whatever 2 feet of duct tape costs.

(I've got a picture, but it's too large for the list)

--
mjm