[Lugstuff] Dell Laptop for Ubuntu ?

David Cunningham dcwood429 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 12:19:58 EDT 2008

Hello All,

   I am offered a deal on a Dell Latitude D 600 and can upgrade the RAM and HDD, if it can work well as a Ubuntu / Kubuntu system.  After bringing a desktop to two LUG meetings, I know it is a masochistic exercise :--{)  I am not looking for a high-end or gaming laptop, just a more portable learning tool.

Specs:
CPU:     Intel Pentium M  1.4 GHz
Chipset: Intel 855 PM
RAM:     <= 2,048 MB  266 MHz SODIMM
         (RAM need not be installed
         in pairs, no ECC support)
FSB:     400 MHz

Embedded Devices:
  Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (32 MB),
  Audio: Sound Blaster compatible Intel AC'97
  LAN:   10/100/1000
  WiFi:  Mini-PCI Wi-Fi (802.11b or b/g) wireless support

   Laptop support is much better than it used to be.  Does anyone have experience with this model or similar hardware??  Wiki suggests it will work with minor problems:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/LaptopTestingHardware

       Regards,  David Cunningham