[Lugstuff] new meeting place

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Tue Mar 3 09:50:08 EST 2015

On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 09:56:52PM -0500, Ted Knab wrote:
> According to our sponsor, "All our visitors sign this".
>
> Link to NDA:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bvWz7GPJILSVU5UnlfODNEMDQ/view?usp=sharing

I vote no.

For example there's an anti-reverse-engineering clause and the company
is given very wide latitude in what that might cover.  I have no idea
what iJet does or considers proprietary, and I don't want to have to
worry about that down the road.

> "It applies only to Confidential information which will not be
> discussed in the first place."

I have no reason to believe otherwise, or that the company has any
malicious intent, but my understanding is that the "four corners rule"
makes any such verbal assurances void once you sign something on
paper.  Clauses 12 and 13 also put that rule into the agreement
itself.

One basic issue is that this is an ongoing business relationship NDA.
A quick search finds examples of other companies that have a dedicated
visitor NDA that is simpler (e.g. much less than a page) and clearly
limits the scope to whatever is revealed during the visit.

                              -Dave Dodge/dododge at dododge.net