[Lugstuff] Installing Linux on UEFI Secure Boot Laptop

Mike Mehl rcjhawk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 22:55:43 EDT 2013

Glad to finally be making contact with Linux users near home.

I'm in the market for a cheap ($300 or so) laptop for use in and outside
the house, mostly by my wife.[*]  Of course all new laptops in that price
range have Windows 8 installed, and so all come with UEFI instead of BIOS,
and Secure Boot as well.

I've had a lot of experience installing Linux (Red Hat, Fedora, CentOS,
Ubuntu, openSuSE) on various boxes over 15+ years, but I admit to some
trepidation in installing it on UEFI, much less disabling Secure Boot to
make it work.

I'd be interested in hearing from users about their experience with Linux,
UEFI and Secure Boot, especially on a laptop.  I've read a lot about it
online, but hearing from someone with hands-on experience would be a big
help.

[*] Who wants her new machine to work just like her current Ubuntu 12.04
Desktop.

--
                                            mjm (
http://hawknotes.blogspot.com/, @rcjhawkku)