[Lugstuff] low cost option to archive 200TB of data

Bob Graw III bgraw3 at mac.com
Mon Jun 3 14:22:25 EDT 2013

You could build a couple of these...
http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180tb-of-good-vibrations-storage-pod-3-0/

With 4TB drives you can get them to 180TB.

(200TB / 4TB) * $180/4TB + Parts would be close to $10-15K.

The next question is how do you back it up. Now you need another, probably.
Now you are at $20-30K.

And, just moving that much data to or from the device will take a long,
long time.

My next questions would be can the data be compressed and is there any
duplication?

Then, if this is purely archival storage, one big blob (like above) might
be okay. But, if you need to process or manipulate or mine the data, then a
cluster of some sort would make more sense.

I'd be willing to talk to him if he wants.

Bob Graw
410-231-3455