[Lugstuff] Ubuntu on a laptop?

Mike Weiss michaelthomasweiss at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 21:19:59 EST 2011

Steve and all,

Long time listener--first time caller here. Stuck in a PEPCO power outage
and bored so I am going to relate what I know that might help you.

Steve,

First, assuming your old laptops aren't too old and have CDROM, you should
be able to burn the basic Ubuntu live CD and then boot directly into the CD
with no installation needed. This would enable a test drive before
installing.

As for the ASUS netbook...I have an one as well (eee901?) that is readily
compatible with the "Ubuntu netbook remix" as it includes special drivers
for power management, etc. Since the machine has no CD you will need to
"burn" this version of Ubuntu to a USB stick and make changes to the
hardware setup to enable USB booting.

The first option above would be easiest with the second requiring some
research, but there are loads of webpages dedicated to the ASUS netbook and
Linux...specifically Ubuntu. Of course there are several other great Linux
distributions (various software components grouped with the Linux kernel).

I think the cool thing about Linux is the availability of information on the
Internet(s) and the value in really teaching yourself all you can and or are
interested in learning. It's kind of like brewing you own beer or fixing you
car when it requires a major repair--you're not quite sure what you're doing
but you learn real quick. I would suggest digging a bit further and doing
the installation yourself as it's a lot more fun. Another great place to
start is one of the many Linux intro books you can get from the bookstore.
Once you get past the Linux specific hardware issues you'll find yourself in
somewhat familiar territory if you've ever touched a commercial UNIX
platform. Of course the default ASUS distribution is not too bad either for
exploring a bit further.

--MikeW

Sent from my crappy iPhone

On Jan 26, 2011, at 8:43 PM, Stephen Wehrenberg <