[Lugstuff] Linux article for the Baltimore Examiner

William Scrivens wscrivens123 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 14:47:12 EST 2011

Rick,

I'm brand new to the Annapolis LUG and only recently returned to Linux.
 More than 20 years ago I played briefly with Unix, before DOS shifted me
towards the Windows wave.

Over the past several years, I have been working with a program through
the Archdiocese of Baltimore that sisters local churches with churches in
Haiti. As part of this effort, our Church sent a preliminary computer lab to
a school in Haiti that consisted of refurbished Windows 98 machines and
software.  We were able to deliver and setup a networked 20-computer lab,
with tons of spare parts for less than $270 a computer. The electrical power
worked, the local town accepted it, and some students were given
an opportunity to put their hands on a computer for the first time.

But, this was an experiment, and so far, a successful one.  Now it is time
to think about the future, and a replacement lab.  This is where Linux comes
into the picture.  The fundamental question being explored by our group
right now, is it better for the long-term education of the Haitian children
to send an established commercial computer environment like Microsoft or
Apple, or would it be more beneficial to send open-source based systems?
 For a basic computer experience and entry level knowledge, it probably does
not make a difference, and certainly Windows in particular is well
established in Haiti.  But as far as a global education and the possibility
to look under the “OS hood” (so to speak) and understand some of the
more fundamental aspects of a computer, an open source system has much to be
desired.

India is a good example of the benefits of technology for a poorer country.
 India by luck followed a wave of blooming technology from a more open
attitude before Windows to a fully proprietary and dominant current reality.
 Should Haiti be offered the same openness?  These are the things that are
bringing me back to Linux, and Ubuntu and Fedora in particular.

Hope this adds to you endeavor, at least from my personal take and
novice understanding.  I’ll be glad to discuss this more if desired.

Thanks and please Remember Haiti.

Bill