[Lugstuff] It only gets more interesting -read confusing.

Theodore Knab tjk at annapolislinux.org
Wed Jan 20 21:44:32 EST 2010

If SUSE is using grub as a boot loader, you should be able to load the
old kernel if it exists.

Here are the commands:
1.
cd /boot/grub/

Look at the menu1st file.

2.
less menu.lst

Verify the Kernels in the list if there are more than one are on the
hard drive. They should be in /boot unless SUSE calls them something
else.

After verifying that you have the kernel on the list, you can change the 'default' paramater to a
different number. For example, my menu.1st reads:
## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from
# 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
# entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved'
# or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default	  0

This should get your sound back.

Once you modify the /boot/grub/menu.1st file restart and the new kernel
should come up.

If it does not, throw in a Knoppix CD and change the file back to the
way it was. Then reboot.

--
Ted Knab
Stevensville, MD USA