[Lugstuff] Thank you for your responses - still seeking a solution

David F Bleil dfbleil at toad.net
Wed Jan 20 16:02:11 EST 2010

Background of problem-

OS = open Suse 11.1    Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-pae  Kernel sound driver
snd_via82xx
Hardware Info reports Model VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio controller
IO Port  Active:yes   Length: 256  Mode:rw  Start:56320
IRQ   Count 8941     Enabled:yes    IRQ: 22
Subvender ASRock incorporated

Attempting to configure the sound with Yast2 the error message is "The kernel
module snd_via82xx could not be loaded. This can be caused by incorrect
module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters."

Sound was working perfectly on this hardware with this driver under open
Suse10.3. Sound still works perfectly when Knoppix (kernel 2.6.19 ) is
booted.

What I have done-
I have attempted to run alsaconfig without success.

I have attempted to look for information in /bin/dmesg  using vim but the
output is not readable to me.

I have downloaded and installed the most recent alsa-driver-1.0.xx from
www.alsa-project.org. This may have been a mistake. It did not fix anything.

I would like to find out how to 1. identify the proper IO and IRQ parameters
for this sound chip and 2 modify the sound module so that the proper
parameters are used.

--

David F. Bleil
Catboat sailor from Crofton