[Lugstuff] Sound issues

Aaron Nye aaron.nye at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 13:25:56 EST 2010

Hi...  FNG here.

I've had a sound issue since kernel 2.6.24 (in Ubuntu and Slackware).
My main system uses an Intel HDA, and since updating past .24, Pulse
will run away for no discernible reason, sometimes when no sound app
is running.  I know when it does with a quick glance at the system
monitor.  One of my cores will be maxed out.  A quick kill -9 fixes
it, but it is a pain.  I have it down to about twice a day now by
fiddling with driver settings, but I wonder what the team did to these
most recent kernels that caused it.

I missed the beginning of this thread, but I'll go back and see if I
maybe able to offer any insight (though, it isn't likely).

<--snip-->

> I have never attempted to  install just a kernel other than by means of the distro installer on the dvd and I am reluctant to attempt to do so for fear that I might end with an unbootable system. What I would really would like to understand  is how the kernel modulse interact with the kernel and how the module could be modified to pass the proper parameters to the kernel so that it would load and function. When I use Yast to set up the sound driver I get a message that the kernel could not load the sound module because something in the module is incorrect.
>
> Knoppix recognizes and uses the sound chip automatically so I know it can be done. I have reinstalled the alsa tool kit and alsa files. Yast no longer claims that they are not found but instead that the module can not be loaded by the kernel. What information does the sound module have to pass to the kernel for it to be loaded and how can that be modified?

<--snip-->

--
Aaron Nye
aaron.nye at gmail.com
http://theakkadian.com
m. 443-791-9580
f. 443-308-0124

"There are two kinds of people, those who want to be left alone and
those who won't leave them alone."

-- Doreen Hannes