[Lugstuff] How to question

Thomas Gallen kaori.hinata at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 11:48:48 EDT 2009

Good (rainy) afternoon,

I just unplug unrelated drives when installing different operating
systems, then plug them all back in afterwards. Firstly, this saves you
from the Windows habit of setting up it's own bootloader over top of
another one. Secondly, this means that each drive is it's own
independent installation with it's own bootloader. As a result, if the
primary drive with the primary GRUB bootloader dies, each drive can
still boot on it's own and saves you a bunch of time (though really it's
just an easy way to keep things separated without much cruft).

You have 2 options for booting such a setup:
1.) Using the BIOS disk selection menu (if available).
2.) Installing grub on the primary boot disk and creating entries for
each installation.

Windows will already have to be chainloaded, however, your GNU/Linux
installations can go one of two ways:

1.) Chainload the existing bootloader (easier).
2.) Directly boot the existing installation (a bit more advanced).

If you go with chainloading then you're just having the primary GRUB
bootloader call another bootloader. If you set that bootloader to not
display a menu/have a timeout of 0 then the extra time to load the next
bootloader is nothing notable.

If you directly load the installation you won't have to call an
additional bootloader but this requires knowledge of all boot settings
of all other GNU/Linux installations on the system. Instead of
chainloading you'd have to know the kernel argument line, boot
partition, if it uses init RAM disks, etc. It'll be quicker, but
maintenance will be bothersome especially since most friendly
distributions like to handle these things themselves and could break
your entry at any time with an update.

Lastly, you do have another option and that would be to let the installations
duke it out in proper order and let Windows installations take turns
wiping the boot record of the primary disk, however, I being the lazy
man that I am, do the above.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Thomas