[Lugstuff] How to question

David F Bleil dfbleil at toad.net
Wed Apr 22 11:03:26 EDT 2009

I intend to install a 3rd SATA HD on my computer.

1st hard drive Windows XP PRO 32 bit

2nd Hard drive currently has  SUSE 9.3  32 bit. I  WILL change to 64 BIT Suse
11.1 after installing the additional Win XP Pro 64 bit OS. The Suse install
finds the other partitions and askes me which one I want to use.

I want to install this drive and make the OS system on the NEW DRIVE
3rd Hard Drive  XP Pro 64 bit

What procedure should I use to install the SUSE 64 bit [2nd hard drive] and
the XP Pro 64 bit[3rd hard drive]
I DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE THE XP PRO 32 BIT PROGRAM AND DATA.  Do I have to
remove the drive, plug the new drive as primary and install the XP Pro 64 bit
as a new installation or is there a way to make sure that the Windows 64 bit
will go on the third drive? If I do this will the GRUB boot manager be hosed?

I am relaying this request to the LUG on behalf of a friend who is new to
Linux and multiple boot systems in general. I would appreciate any
observations, warnings , tips which would be applicable to this project.

He has the correct hardware for using 64 bit software.
4 GB Ram
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
Dual-Core Processo

Thanks for your assistance.

--

David F. Bleil