[Lugstuff] HP DL385 or PE 2970 ?

AJ Stadlin ajstadlin at multiaxismotion.com
Tue Aug 5 09:59:56 EDT 2008

I am considering purchasing HP DL385-G5s instead of DELL PE2970 servers.  Anyone
care to provide their experiences with either systems or any other equivalent
systems?

I already have two PE2970 servers (one in production, the other ready for pilot
testing).  However, the last PE2970 did not configure without struggle and cost.
For the last 5 years DELL provided excellent support and pricing; however, this
seems to have degraded for me over the last 6 months and my recent experiences
indicate it might even get worse.  - so I'm reviewing other options like HP and
BMO (building my own).

I am switching to AMD processor servers because I need to reduce the heat in our
operations center.  The equivalent performance Intel systems (e.g. PE2950) seem
to blow off double BTUs.

Arnold